About Dr. Plechner


Dr. Alfred J. Plechner, September 2015


  • University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
    September 1956-1958
  • University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California
    September 1958-1961
  • Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri
    September 1961-1962
  • University of California, Davis School of Veterinary Medicine
    Davis, California, Bachelor of Science & Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
    June 1966


Broda Barnes MD Research Foundation
Endocrine Immune Studies in Animals and How They May Relate to Humans, 2003

U.S. Fish & Game Biologists in Western States with Bighorn Sheep Populations
Testing the Genetics for the Bighorn Sheep for Endocrine Immune Imbalances, 1972


  • Cedar Sinai Animal Hospital, Los Angeles, California
    Practicing Veterinarian, 2008-Present
  • California Animal Hospital, Los Angeles, California
    Partner and Practicing Veterinarian, 1968-2004
  • Stonewood Meadows Wildlife Refuge, Calabasas, California
    Founder of state and federally licensed wildlife refuge specializing in the
    Treatment and release of indigenous wildlife. Set a precedence for wildlife over recreational environmentalist against the California Coastal Commission
  • Topanga Las Virgenes Resource Conservation District
    Associate Director for Wildlife for Santa Monica Mountain starting in 1975
  • Executed the Capture and Determining of the Genetic Competence for the release of Bighorn Sheep Mountains of Independence California
  • Wildlife Alliance
    I was asked by the California Department of Fish and Game to help set up the Wildlife Alliance, which organized wildlife treatment facilities and rehabilitation centers throughout the state of California
  • Calabasas Cellars Vineyards & Winery, Calabasas, California
    Owner and Operator, proceeds to fund Wildlife Refuge
  • Naturally Yours Pet Foods, Irwindale, California
    Creator of first non-meat commercial pet foods
  • Nature's Recipe Pet Foods / Earth Elements, Corona, California
    Creator of Veterinary line of pet foods (IVD)
    Creator of Consumer line of OTC pet foods (1st Lamb & Rice)
    Consultant for R & D of other pet products
  • J.P. World Ltd., Malibu, California
    Research & Formula Consultant for product line (Trace Minerals,
    Digestive Enzymes, Omega 3 & 6, Shampoos, and FoodGrown™ multi-vitamins)
  • Big Horn Sheep Society of California, San Gabriel, California
    Research Immunologist
  • A & E Laboratories
    Consultant for Endocrine Immune blood work Studies and general lab work



  • Fifty Years of Healing: Dr. Plechner's perspective on a half century of curing animals many had given up on 2012 by Alfred J. Plechner and Kirk E. Nims
  • Against the Odds, Given up for Dead: The Life Saving Work of Dr. Al Plechner, DVM 2012 by David Spangenburg and Dr. Al Plechner DVM
  • Endocrine-Immune Mechanisms in Animals and Human Health Implications 2011 by Dr. Alfred J. Plechner D.V.M.
  • Pets at Risk: From Allergies to Cancer, Remedies for an Unsuspected Epidemic 2003 by D.V.M. Alfred J. Plechner and Martin Zucker
  • Pet Allergies 1985 by Alfred J. Plechner DVM and Martin Zucker


  • The Importance of Estrogen for Breast Cancer Patients, Cancer Tutor, cancertutor.com, March 2015, Plechner
  • Reproductive Failure in Adrenal-Thyroid-Immune Dysfunction, Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, December 2008, Plechner
  • Importance of IGA, Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, November 2005, Plechner
  • Cortisol Abnormality as a Cause of Elevated Estrogen and Immune Destabilization, Medical Hypothesis, April 2004, Plechner
  • Adrenal Toxicity and Hormonal and Immune Destabilization in Animals, Journal of Toxicology, April 2004, Plechner
  • Innovative Cancer Therapy That Saves Animals, May Work For Humans, Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, April 2004, Plechner
  • Do Adrenal-Immune Disturbances in Animals and Common Variable Immunodeficiency in Humans Have a Common Cause?, Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, June 2003, Plechner
  • Adrenal Immune Disturbances in Animals Offers Therapeutic Insight for Multiple Human Disorders, Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients as Chaos in the Cortex, April 2003, Plechner
  • Unrecognized Endocrine Immune Defects in Multiple Diseases, Medical Hypothesis, March 2003, Plechner
  • Blood Test and Evaluation, Compendium, New Sage Press, March 2003, Page 51, Plechner
  • Therapy Possibilities for Humans, Compendium, New Sage Press, March 2003, Page 53, Plechner
  • Suggested Human Protocol and Important Considerations, Compendium, New Sage Press, March 2003, Page 49, Plechner
  • Skin Problems - Mineral Supplements May Be The Answer, Pet Age, November 1985, p. 24, Plechner
  • Canine Nutrition, Pet Age, February 1983, p. 20, Plechner
  • Feline Nutrition - Read The Label, Pet Age, February 1982, p. 12, Plechner
  • Preliminary Observations On Endocrine - Associated Immunodeficiency In Dogs - A Clinician Explores The Relationship of Immunodeficiency to Endocrinopathy, Modern Veterinary Practice, October 1979, p. 811, Plechner
  • Theory of Endocrine Immune Surveillance, California Veterinarian, January 1979, p. 12, Plechner
  • Endocrine Immune Surveillance, Plechner, Shannon, Epstein, Goldstein, and Howard, Pulse, June - July 1978
  • Food Mediated Disorders, California Veterinarian, June 1978, Plechner
  • Food Induced Hypersensitivity. Plechner and Shannon, Modern Veterinary Practice, March 1977, p. 225
  • Canine Immune Complex Diseases, Plechner and Shannon, Modern Veterinary Practice, November 1976, p. 917


American Veterinary Medical Association (Honor Roll Member, January 1, 2009)
California Veterinary Medical Association
Southern California Veterinary Medical Association
Veterinary Allergy Academy
American Animal Hospital Association (Medical Director Member from 1973 to 1999)
American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association


By Dr. Alfred J. Plechner, DVM

I was born on April 4th, 1938 in an area called, "Three Tree Point" on Puget Sound in the State of Washington. I can remember when I was four years old and received my first football. Since I didn't have any playmates, I played with Puget Sound. As a child I knew that Puget Sound had its tides coming in and going out, so I picked a good time to play ball with it. I knew if I threw my football into the Sound, it would surely come back. As you might imagine, I spent many waking moments waiting for my football to come floating back. Obviously, my football never came back, and I had my first taste of reality.

When I aged a couple of years, my parents allowed me to use an old rowboat to explore the wonders of Puget Sound, as long as I wore a life preserver and stayed within sight of the house. At times, the baby whales were all over Puget Sound. As a child, I did not realize that they were there because their mothers were giving birth to them. These baby whales were referred to as, "black fish". The baby whales played around my rowboat and actually let me pet them. I am lucky that their Mother never got upset with me. I felt great joy in touching these lovely creatures. Often in life, as you age, you realize how blessed you were to have experienced something like this.

When I was six years old, I worked very hard catching small frogs for the bass fishermen which I sold to them at a nickel a piece. I had hoped to make enough money to buy a radio controlled car. At about the same time, my Dad had read to me about little Japanese babies who were involved in the war and who didn't have any diapers, and that their parents had to use newspapers, instead. I had a baby sister at the time who I loved dearly and would not have wanted her in newspaper diapers, either. I spoke with my Dad and he helped me mail in my life savings to the Seattle Times in order to buy diapers for the Japanese babies. The Seattle Times was nice enough to do an article about my donation which also included a picture of my little sister and I.

As I continued my row boat adventures on Puget Sound, each year a very large White Whale would spend some time there, too. People called it, "Orca," but it really wasn't one. I remember its great size-it was three times larger than a Beluga Whale!

Soon thereafter we moved into town because my Dad had horrible allergies and severe asthma and was somewhat bedridden. He was a great fisherman when he was feeling well enough to go. I loved to go to Matthews Creek which was close to our house. The creek came directly out of Lake Washington. I would catch salmon and trout and bring them home to show my ailing Dad that I could be a great fisherman, too just like him.

One afternoon, when I was just seven years old, I was playing in the alley behind our house when a car came speeding up the alley and then ran over my four-year-old sister. The next door neighbors were both physicians and were home at the time. They rushed out and wrapped up my little sister in a blanket and headed straight to the nearest hospital. The interns and residents at the hospital were in a meeting at the time and were, "too busy" to attend to her massive head trauma. By the time we reached the next hospital, she had died .What a sad example for a seven-year-old child to suddenly realize that taking the, "Hippocratic Oath" must mean that you are a, HIPPOCRITE. Can you imagine what must have gone through my child's mind seeing a hospital who did not care if a little girl died or not? Soon thereafter, my Dad was too sick to have any more children, so my parents then adopted a little girl that we named, Cathy. Everything seemed to return to normal, as well as "normal" could be given the circumstances.

One afternoon, when I was eleven-years-old, my Dad had gone to the hospital for an injection of a bronchiole dialator for his asthma called, "Aminophyline". He suffered from a horrible allergic reaction and died within a few minutes. When I came home from school, I was then told that my Dad was dead.

You can imagine my sorrow because I loved my Father.

What I remember most about him, was not only his love for me, but a story he shared with me. He had found a super bowl ring in a pawn shop and it took him 4 years to finally find the football player that pawned his ring. My Dad finally returned the ring to its real owner as a gift and thank him for being a super star.

Soon thereafter, I became the man of the family. I did escape from reality by playing classical music on the piano. I eventually took fourteen years of instruction, and then played at many concerts, but like many other things my music became so personal that I really only wanted to play for myself without any audience.

I then worked very hard to get through school and to support myself. We then moved again from Seattle to Los Angeles so that my Mom could begin Real Estate School. I worked for Ralph's Market evenings and all day on Saturdays and Sundays. I spent my summers working at my Uncle's wholesale grocery warehouse in Portland Oregon. My weekends were spent in Seaside, Oregon. At the age of twelve, I worked for the Seaside Clam Company catching red-finned surf perch and salmon. I was paid 10 cents a pound for the perch and 25 cents a pound for the salmon.

I spent one summer on Orchis Island in the San Juan Islands, in boy scout camp. At that time the Japanese sealers were working of the Islands catching and killing adult seals.

All the baby seals would come a shore and at one time we had 19 baby seals.

I would catch mud sharks and rock fish to feed them, and when they became old enough, they returned to the sea.

Mom did get her real estate license, and I figured out another way for "the man of the family" to also help make money for our family. I raised orchids, three-hundred and sixty-five different species, and sold them as corsages to UCLA and USC for special events.

I also worked for the Osaki family training trees in small dishes called, "Bonsai". It was very relaxing to do and when I created a special Bonsai, I would show the Grandparents. They would admire the small tree and then would politely bow to me which meant they liked the results. I also did wet and dry gardens for people and created some neat Japanese gardens. I did this for my mom, too in her back yard. I built a large covered patio with the entire back of it as a skylight. On the entire east wall, I did the same. On that wall, I had huge boards covered in redwood bark and to this bark I attached outside orchids and many species of bromeliads. All were wrapped in sphagnum moss and attached to the bark walls. In the back of the patio were my other species of orchids. A transparent wall and door allowed people to view and enjoy the flowers without having to enter into the greenhouse. I built a large Coy pond for my Mom, and then built a bridge with Lotus Bud Knobs on the bridge into the patio. I also built a huge waterfall that created further peacefulness. Many people came to see the garden and patio. One day, the Los Angeles Times called my Mom and asked her if they might take some pictures. The entire garden and patio made two colored pages in the Home and Garden Section of the Sunday Edition of The LOS Angeles Times. My older son framed this for us as a keepsake for our family.

While working, I attended Los Angeles High School where I wrestled and played football. I became head of the Varsity Lettermen's Society as a Junior, and was elected to Boys Division President as a senior. I had been sent to Boys State in California as a junior which helped me to become a better Boys Division President. It was a wonderful experience that I really appreciated. I will also share with you yet another experience that I thought at the time was one that I could have lived without.

I needed a fine arts course in order to graduate, so being a football player and a wrestler, I signed up for a weaving class. Much to my surprise, the big looms and shuttles were wonderful to work with. My teacher showed me how to weave, and then she turned me loose to make beautiful towels with intricate patterns and elegant materials for suits and dresses. Little did I know at that time that my teacher had sent much of my woven products to the Carnegie Institute. My creations then took first place. An assembly was called in my honor but I received so much flak from my football and wrestling teammates that I didn't go.

After five years of hard work I then applied to medical school. I had hoped that just maybe I could help stop those unnecessary tragedies that befell my Dad and little sister.

When I was accepted to a medical school, my Mom did not want "the man of the family" to leave, but it was my time now. I enjoyed medical school for my first year and was looking forward to becoming a pediatrician. While attending medical school, my greatest pleasure was to walk a mile down to a little Italian fruit stand. Once there, I would buy a big, juicy, red apple and eat it on the way home.

At the end of my first year in medical school, I developed a horrible upset gut. The Dean of Men attributed my problem to, "freshman nerves". After losing forty pounds, and a lot of my hair, and after being given two weeks of Paragoric, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "self, you are going to die". I went to see the Dean of Men the next morning, and I was so dehydrated that I spoke with a, "clicking sound". He said to me that I could go into Public Health because it would be much less stressful! I flew home the very next day and I will always picture in my mind how my Mother and Grandmother were hugging each other and quietly sobbing because I looked like I had just come from a Concentration Camp.

I went to see my physician who with serum titers and my clinical symptoms diagnosed me with typhoid fever. My physician was livid that this, "Third World" disease could have been missed in a "high powered medical school"? The Dean said to come on back and speak with my professors in order to figure out how to catch up with my classes. Most of my professors were Nobel Prize winners in their fields, so each professor told me that they each taught the best class in the country, and that I should take the other professors' classes during summer school. So when I went back to the Dean and related to him what was said to me, he told me to rest and come back next year, and then join in the February class. He also said that if I decided not to, then he would have an open acceptance for whenever I wanted to come back.

Now at home, and feeling better, I took my English Bulldog, "Moose" to see my veterinarian. When my vet saw me he said "I bet you hated medical school". I said I really didn't, but it was like getting a PhD in a basic science, and that I had always wanted to be a clinician. My vet disappeared for a few minutes and when he returned, he had a phone in his hand and said "there is someone on the phone who would like to speak with you." It was the Dean of Acceptance for the Veterinary Medical School at the University of California at Davis. He then asked me if I would like come up to UC Davis and speak with him? The more I thought about it, the better it sounded. The next day, I drove to Davis and it turned out that both he and I were doing similar research studies. He asked me if I would like to join his fall class, and to "think about it". I did, and two weeks later, I called and accepted his offer. I never even had to apply. I think the statement that comes to mind is that you can achieve anything you want, but it might not be right for you. I have run through many brick walls, but now I hope that I am a little wiser for it.

While a student at UC Davis, I came home for Christmas vacation and found out that my Mom had a lump in her left breast that had been discovered by a mobile cancer unit. She was to be rechecked in one month. I immediately called our family physician and had Mom in surgery the next day. At this time, she was 52 years old with no family history of any kind of cancer.

The surgeons removed my Mom's left breast, including her left axillary lymph node. Frozen sections of the mass, at the time of surgery, revealed the presence of a malignant mammary tumor. At the time, my Mom's cousin was the Assistant Director of the City of Hope, and all work was done there. The surgeons then took out both adrenal glands and irradiated both ovaries, to reduce the risk of an "estrogenic effect," which may have caused the original tumor, but also might cause its spread. While I watched closely, I remembered her physician replacing two types of adrenal hormones, "glucorticoid" and "mineral corticoid". Afterwards, she did well for four years.

Soon thereafter, as I was working on the cortisol, thyroid, and estrogen connection in Atypical Cortisol Estrogen Imbalance Syndrome (ACEIS) or as the public refers to it as PLECHNER'S SYNDROME my Mom began to seriously decalcify. She would be in bed, and cough or sneeze, and then fracture the bones in her spine and ribs. It was a horrible thing to witness! As her plight continued, I was researching the connection of thyroid imbalances that often, if not always, accompany a cortisol-estrogen imbalance. At this point in my research, I realized that her thyroid hormone was bound, and as the daily dose of adrenal steroids were given, there remained a residual of cortisol. So after a number of days, the regulatory amounts of controlling cortisol went from a physiological dose level to a harmful, pharmacological overdose! Besides the pathological fractures she sustained, Mom was cold all the time and began to lose her hair, too. Her axillary temperatures were subnormal, even though her thyroid hormone labs were normal, and she still continued to decalcify. I spoke to my mom's physician, who agreed that trying thyroid hormone on my Mom could not hurt. Mom felt better immediately upon taking the thyroid hormone. Her temperature started to rise and the decalcification stopped. Eventually, she began to recalcify. WITH THE COMBINATION OF ADRENA AND THYROID REPLACEMENTS, my Mom lived until she was 88 years of age, CANCER FREE FOR THIRTY-SIX YEARS, and just "went to sleep" one day when she died.

To this day, TOTAL ESTROGEN is still not being done in 99% of human and veterinary laboratories. The lack of transference of thyroid hormone, due to imbalanced, deficient, or defective CORTISOL, also is not usually recognized. High TOTAL ESTROGEN is not only not being done, but the realization that high estrogen binds both thyroid hormones [T3 and T4] is not being practiced routinely by healthcare specialist for either humans or for animals. It will be up to you to ask for these tests to be done. If a laboratory cannot do these tests for you, then please ask your healthcare professional to find a lab that can do these tests, otherwise you will be wasting your money, but more importantly you may be wasting your life or the life of your pet.

Furthermore, I did spend much time Friday afternoons at the UCLA Immunology Forum, learning as much as I could, to not only understand what was happening with my patients, but how to help them. At the time, Dr. Fayhe was kind enough to let me attend the Forums, even though I was a veterinarian. I am sure that the insight that I received at UCLA Medical Center has helped me find a better overall way to treat my patients, and I am very grateful for the experience.

During this time, I realized that the indigenous wildlife in Southern California when caught, were either being euthanized by the City of Los Angeles or taken to Los Padres National Forest and released in areas where survival for them was almost impossible.

I purchased a 27 acre parcel and created a wildlife preserve called Stone Wood Meadows.

My wildlife preserve was located along with Cold Creek, just of Mulholland highway, at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains, on the valley side fo the Santa Monica Mountains. It was located four and one half miles from the coast line, behind two major ridges that were present, in the Santa Monica Mountains.

The purpose of Stone Wood Meadows was to provide free treatment and relocation for indigenous species for the various agencies that were helping the wildlife in the area.

I was licensed by the Department of Fish and Game and the Federal Wildlife Service.

Everything was going quite well, until I received a notification from the California Coastal Commission, that I was in violation of the Coastal Act!

I could not believe this, because I was NOT in the coastal zone!

This violation was created by the recreational environmentalist who cared only about hiking and horse trails throughout the Santa Monica Mountains, even if they endangered significant, ecologic areas where the indigenous wildlife lived.

After a 7 year battle, Stone Wood Meadows helped create recognition by the California Coastal Commission, to protect wildlife over the trails that the recreational environmentalist, demanded.

To read more about my battle with the California Coastal Commission on this website, please go to ABOUT and scroll down to Goals and Achievements and read the article titled “Wildlife Savior’s Incredible War with the California Coastal Commission”.

Fortunately, thanks to all of you for allowing me to help you and your pets, for over 50 years.

Unfortunately I have had to retire due to an injury, but I am hoping the articles that remain on my website, will continue to help pets and their owners, throughout the world.